The Pan-Pacific Fisheries Compliance Network (PPFCN) was established in 2020 to promote communication and cooperation between the RFMOs that have overlapping waters in the Pacific Ocean region. The PPFCN is an informal forum to share information about MCS processes and compliance best practice. The PPFCN also provides and effective and efficient means of sharing relevant data and information between the Pan-Pacific RFMOs. The PPFCN is hosted within the IMCS Network and includes officers responsible for compliance in the RFMOs that have overlapping waters in the Pacific Ocean region including the:
- Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Living Marine Resources (CCAMLR)
- Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT)
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)
- North Pacific Fisheries Commission (NPFC)
- North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission (NPAFC)
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO)
- Western Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
In 2021, the PPFCN adopted an Operational Framework to guide its work and establish its goals including to:
- Facilitate informal communication and information exchange.
- Identify where more formal mechanisms for sharing information and data between the Core Group RFMOs are relevant and/or needed and support the drafting of such arrangements as may be desired by the Core Group members involved.
- Build on the principles of RFMO “best practices” where possible.
- Identify and coordinate relevant MCS technical assistance and training opportunities.
- Foster joint efforts, including sharing the development of common MCS tools and procedures and best practice compliance methodologies.
- Enhance opportunities for sharing technology and technology transfer.
- Improve awareness of new and existing MCS and compliance policies, measures, processes, and technologies within RFMOs.
- Action any other objectives identified by the Core Group.
The PPFCN Operational Framework was adopted in 2021 and provides guidnace on the form and function of the PPFCN.
A 2007 Chatham House report of an Independent Panel tasked with developing a model for improved governance by RFMOs.